Getting a merchant account
To accept different payment types like Visa, MasterCard or American Express, you'll need one or more merchant accounts (or merchant IDs). These are different from a business bank account.
A merchant account will allow us to get your transactions authorised by checking if the cardholder has sufficient funds. Once authorised, the funds will be transferred to your merchant account and later settled into your business bank account.
Why get a merchant account through Sage Pay?
Sage Pay offers a comprehensive package that includes both a payment gateway and a merchant account, making it easier for businesses to start trading. Our online form will take you through the relevant steps. Alternatively, you can also choose to use your own merchant account through another merchant acquiring bank.
- All-in-one solution to accept payments
- Pay only for settled transactions
- Competitive transaction charges
- No long term contracts
The application process
Take a look at the steps you'll need to follow to set up a merchant account when you are filling in the Sage Pay account online application form:
- Complete, print and sign your merchant account application form and send it to us with additional supporting documents to confirm your identity and your business details.
- The merchant account application can take 10-15 working days (from when we get all of your documents).
- Once your application is processed, we will send you your new merchant account number(s) (merchant IDs) along with instructions on next steps.
Speak to an expert: 0845 111 4466
Getting started with Sage Pay
From start-ups to brand names, helping businesses grow is our purpose. Read our customer stories to see how we've helped.